Related pages
Possible origins
John Clark
Augustus Clark
Richard P. Clark
Elizabeth Clark Galloway
Clark home page
The Clarks of Texas, Baltimore County, Maryland:
Why we believe they were siblings

 
by Conrad W. Terrill, This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it &
Harry Richard Clark III, This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
& George James Clark, This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
18 Oct. 2012

Sources for much of the following may be found in the companion “records histories,” for John Clark, Augustus Clark, Elizabeth Clark Galloway and Richard P. Clark.
 

We know of four Clarks who lived in the area of Texas, Baltimore County, Maryland, decades before it became known as “Texas.” We believe they were probably siblings. John Clark was born in 1788, we believe, in St. Marys County, Maryland. Augustus Clark was born between 1780 and 1790. Richard P. Clark was born about 1796 or 1797, and Elizabeth Clark was born between 1800 and 1804. We know that all four lived in the area of Texas, based upon 1820 through 1860 U.S. Census records, even though the place of residence was not specifically given on these records. We know this because all four were listed in close proximity to neighbors who remained in the area up to 1870, when the place name was given as “P.O. Ellen Gowan,” and 1880, when it was finally given as “Texas.” Particular neighbors who proved useful were Ann (Lux) Cockey (1770-1847) and her son Thomas Deye Cockey (1799-1887), who both owned extensive property in the area.

Augustus Clark was the first of the four to marry, in 1818, to Susan Whiteford, also of that area, at St. Patrick’s Roman Catholic Church in Baltimore. Elizabeth Clark married in 1822, to Thomas Galloway, who was born about 1798. John Clark married about 1824, perhaps in Pennsylvania, to Eve M. Erhart, who was born there (there is no Baltimore County marriage license record for the two of them). And Richard P. Clark married in 1837, to Mary Slater, although he appears to have been married once before that. Elizabeth Clark perhaps married at St. John the Evangelist (Saint Johns on the Ridge), the oldest Catholic church in Baltimore County, built just that year (1822) about nine miles east of Texas on the ridge dividing Long Green and Dulaneys Valleys. For decades St. Johns on the Ridge was a rural mission church (the second) of St. Ignatius, at Hickory, Harford County. Elizabeth and Thomas buried children in the cemetery at St. Johns in 1829 and 1831, and John and Eve buried a child there in 1827. The church burned down in 1855, perhaps destroying the parish records, since existing registers start from 1857. 2,3

Baltimore County historian John McGrain informs us that priests from Baltimore City and from Hickory stopped in Texas on occasion to perform baptisms, marriages and funerals, at the one-story log cabin of John Clark for a while. 1 Three children of Richard P. Clark appear in the baptism register of St. Ignatius, undoubtedly baptized in Texas on 12 May 1840 since all the children baptized that day were from that area. “E. Galaway” (Elizabeth Galloway) was the sponsor for a child of Frances (Hunter) Butler baptized that day, and Frances Hunter was the sponsor for Richard’s three children.

In the earliest census in which the Clarks appear in Baltimore County, the 1820 census, the names of John Clark and Augustus Clark appear next to each other, and near that of Ann Cockey, in what was then District 2. Augustus and wife Susan were the only free white adults in their household. In John’s household, however, there was a male of age 26 to 44 (John himself, age 31), a male of age 16 to 25 (Richard, age about 23, we think), a female of age 16 to 25 (Elizabeth, we think) and a female of age 45 or over—probably their mother. Two persons were engaged in agriculture (John and Richard). If their father brought the familly to Baltimore County he probably did so between 1800 and 1810, since he does not appear in the 1810 U.S. Census in Baltimore County. It could also be that the family brought itself, after the father died and before 1818 (when Augustus married there).

By 1830 the four Clarks were living in separate households. There appear to be no records other than those mentioned above which connect the four. We can find no wills. Richard and Augustus seem not to have purchased any land in Baltimore County. But John Clark and Thomas Galloway purchased land, adjacent properties purchased on the same day on occasion. Both appear to have lived on the south side of what would later be called Church Lane, according to an 1837 map.

References

1. Maryland Historical Trust, Determination of Eligibility Form, Texas Village (Texas Station Historic District), Baltimore Co., MD, Inventory No. BA-2943, completed by John W. McGrain, 20 May 1985. (Online link, PDF, 435 KB)

2. St Ignatius R. C. Church, Hickory, Harford Co., Maryland, history.

3. St John the Evangelist R. C. Church, Hydes, Baltimore Co., Maryland, history.

 
Search this web site
Who's Online?
We have 30 guests online